Saturday, October 29, 2005

Its normal to you, but not to them!

I was supposed to blog this last week, but my wireless server went 'kuku'.....and now it comes equipped with firewall, which not only slows my internet to just 1mps, I can no longer download anything using limewire anymore....haih...pity!

Anyway, back to my main topic, which is just another crap I noticed after all this while of observing Japs....and guess what, I found some 'stuffs' that would have been very normal in M'sia, but totally not over here! Its either very strange or unexceptable to them.

1. I noticed that when I count from 1~5, its closed palm1st, lift tumb, index finger, & so on, but here, its the opposite, hands opened, close tumb, close index finger, bla bla...I felt really wierd doing it their way!

2. Still about fingers, ppl here don't have our 'horn' shape fingers which represents the no. 6. I used it once b4 & the Japs in my class thought that I was making some sorta funny joke....then scold me for trying to lie to themwhen I explain to them later....They can't accept it kua? Here, to show numbers more than 5, they use an extra finger from the other hand to add to it...example, no, 7 means your 1 palm fully opened, plus 2 finger placed in the middle of that opened palm....wierd huh?

3.Attend sports! Japs in my college are divided into 2 groups, in sports not not in sports. Those involved in sports attends it EVERYDAY! That includes Saturday also k! Damn pia! Unlike in PFS(I don't know bout other schools), I only attend house parctise once everyweek, and 1 or 2 more days for sports...and thats all! Here, attending 4/6 days is considered BAD! So its either you come or you quit! I think I'm no longer in kendo club anymore kua? I ponteng like gila! Lost interest dee, now gym nicer to play! hahahah...soo sorry la captain!

4.Malaysian education system! Know what, of all my stories about M'sia, this is probably the hardest to explain to them dee...It might be normal for us, Chinese schools, English schools, Malay schools, Malay ONLY schools, pure boys/girls school, form 6, etc....but since there is only JAPS school here, its supa hard to explain to them about our school system la! When I say Chinese & English(so called only la) school, they think that it teaches things about China(and anti-Japansese sentiment with it) & US or UK. I have to tell them SOO many times that we study according to M'sian syllabus but using other language only. Then they all go "Har? How do you teach something about M'sia in other language other than Malay?"(They don't know that their English class is worst! English in Jap, tak masuk akal at all!)

They don't have pure guys/gals school here too, so its something new to them....Malays ONLY school is easier to explain la...just need to say racial discrimination, then special treatment to Malays, they understand dee...simple! Form 6 doesn't exist over here cos after form 5, its uni dee....no such thing as wasting 2 years & still risk not entering any uni!

5. ME! I myself is hard to explain also k! The best question was from this guy who asked me about my mother tongue....well, my mother tongue is Chinese, my national language is Malay, but I speak mainly in English....and that guy goes "Huh?! I don't understand?" I continued telling him that my I study in BM in school, talk to gang & my mother in English, some other friends & dad in Chinese. Should have seen his face that time, blankly staring at me for 5 secs, then said "I don't understand why you do such crazy things, but you are great! Can speak in so many languages." Then walked away shaking in disbelief that there is such a wierd 'alien' here in Jap...haih...

5 comments:

Kelly said...

wui,I count by using their way wor..usually close inwards ler,your way harder!and i'm used to it already,shows that your point here is not acceptable for the general malaysians?

The "after 6" counting,i've noticed that when the sensei's here did that..So,not so weird kana...

ok,note to myself di..so hard to explain to Japanese about the education system..hmm..okok..actually some Malaysians also cannot accept when i told them I speak different languages at home ler..what more the Japanese?

Do you notice also that no matter how quiet or noisy they are,they'll sure to pose in the pictures ever-so eagerly..all with peace signs?

ps:You should really see the japanese gals lar,really weird ler..Both of them really said nothing one ler..and yet,supsingly,they can so cheerfully pose for pictures.."^^

Anonymous said...

i nvr bother to xplain school system just said unlike jpn we have sek men 5 yrs...thats all !!
p/s:to kelly ]
not all jap like photo larr...

Wanster said...

ehh. why the food is served on table, not on naked girls? hehehehe
heheeeee..
(sorry wrong comment ah)

mayc said...

hahaha... weird alien.. wonder why would u describe urself that way.. for me to lol?? ok, hahaha..

the counting system we edi notice here d lo.. thanks to the minemura sensei who noted it.. haha.. well, the rest were undeniably interesting.. wah.. like that oni they surprise edi.. havent add dialects hor.. haha

Anonymous said...

hi, i have been reading your blog with great interest since last spring. When japanese ask me what my mother tongue is, i usually tell them i don't have one. Save my energy mah ;-) and i can see my japanese baby is not going to have one too.