Sunday, October 08, 2006

Online games do more good than harm

Thats whats written on the star online today(8/10/2006). I couln't agree more! Whats so bad about online gaming anyway? It hurts my eyes a little after 16 hours of playing, but at least it doesn't cause lung cancer or make my brains spill all over the road. Seriously, I do think that playing online games(better known as MMORPG) is much 'safer' compared shopping or even jogging around. Why? With the amount of rape/thief/murder cases in M'sia, what better than to have your own kids sitting around at home nerding at the comp instead of risking his/her life in a world filled with nutcases.

"If parents think playing online games is bad, they should honestly ask themselves what they did as youths to entertain themselves when there were no computer games,” said Jeffery Wong, 31, a cybercafe owner" <---He is a CC owner, of course he'll say this!
-The Star Online-


Even if you go to cybercafes for your daily 'fix', its definately safer there compared to the silent garden which might be haunted with ghost or orang gila. I get news that some parents in the US are so addicted to WoW that they left their child to starve to death. A few China guys also died of starvation cos they played WoW for days non-stop! Unlike other countries like the US or China, there hasn't been any stories of ppl dying from too much MMORPGs in M'sia yet. Our CCs have long since solved this problem with starvation with the wide variety of foods raging from hot karipaps, nasi lemaks to bags of chips and canned drinks. Starvation? We are not like the US or China ok! We are a 1st world country!

“If kids are learning how to earn money by pursuing their interest, their parents should be proud of them instead!” said Leon Jalleh, 27, ANOTHER cybercafe operator.
-The Star Online-

Talking about that, I could have made some money out of my MMORPG avatar. A lvl 62 warrior with 1.2 billion gold coins(I toiled days and nights for it) could have fetched about US$250 in the market now. Thats like RM1000! I'm not joking! Thats the max price I've seen in some forums where ppl are bidding like crazy. However, instead of selling it away, I gave my account to a friend of mine in Philipines for free. I'm crazy I know, but I'd rather have someone I trust rather than some richkid Turk having a char with my nickname on it. Its a win-win situation though, he still updates me about my chars advancement while I can rid myself of this addiction for sure!(No more avatar=no more addiction)

Finish babbling about all the 'positive' stuffs about MMORPG, this is very-very funny:

"Youth and Sports Ministry Deputy Minister Datuk Liow Tiong Lai said too many youths are spending so much time in cyber cafes indulging in activities that were non-productive. Liow said the ministry wanted to limit the time that youths could spend playing games at cyber cafes. One of the methods suggested was introducing games that penalise gamers by deducting points if they played longer than a set number of hours. " -The Star-

HAHAHAHa! IS the ministry STUPID or something? Intoduce a game which penalises people for playing too long?! Who on earth is gonna play that game then? What company would wanna make a game like that? Is this the best they can conjure up? Even my mum could have thought of something better like "Take a 3 layered rotan and whack your kid until he/she starts to limit MMORPGs to 3~4 hours a day". My dad would have an even better idea like "Just cut of the internet everytime their results turn bad". Simple, easy and effective ways :p

Personally, I do think that online games really does more good than harm with a big IF. IF you can limit it to 3~4 hours daily. Its easier said than done. IF you can't control yourself, then don't even try to start. I'd be freaking hard to get rid of it once it gets stuck to your body & soul. Take it from a guy who is going through rehabilitation...Don't have to go to drugs to know how it feels lol! So, if there are some challenging spirits who still wanna to try out MMORPGs no matter what, heres a tip:
80%++ of MMORPG players are guys. Make a girl avatar and when asked, ALWAYS say that you are a 16 year old girl who starts playing cos you wanna forget about the pain of breaking up with your BF. In less than 2 hours, I'd bet you'll get tons of cash/items flowing in your inventory!
Another reason why I quitted online games....its a crazy place filled with ppl who have problem with their own sexual preferences! Yucks!

3 comments:

Kelly said...

long blog there..lucky u managed to quit eh?

cl3m` said...

controlled gaming is the keyword! i'm glad i'm passed the mmorpg fad cos my internet's too freaking slow to ever enjoy it. hehe

that said, ministers/politicians talk before thinking. besides this gaming thing, they have power to DBP to fine companies who mis-use bm. he said,' i wanna see names like touch N go and bolevard changed' it's cos of ppl like him that bm never grows...

Anonymous said...

Ouch! You've touched shopping! LOl! Kidding aside, I couldn't agree more that it is better than many other activities. However, it is also important that we know how to limit the time we spend here.

But yes, you're right this is better.

Cris
Parking Games