Saturday, October 28, 2006

Learnu Igurisu You Wanto?

1 1/2 years in Japan. If I still don't get it that the Japs are making fun of us from the English speaking world, then I'm really dumb! I do get this feeling that they do know to write it properly, but they just decided to play with some 'Igirisu' humor. Some are pretty straight foward, some are hidden, some just mind boggling. Don't get me again? Have fun!

I know your restaurant serves good food and have some decent waitress. But if you sincerely want me to call you back for a chat, at least leave a phone number on the receipt. Even better, give us your staffs hp no la. For those who can't read Japanese, a 1st look at this piece of receipt might feel like I've called a 'befriender' type of call-site for some 'oral treatment' and got charged 700yen for it!

I took picture just outside the ferry terminal connecting Hiroshima College to mainland Japan. Make sense why my English language is deteriorating so rapidly. I'm now facing the same problem I'm facing in kindergarden, spelling! With another language, German up in my cerebrum, every letter and word formations are all jumbled up like a bowl of alphabetical soup. Even official signboards aren't helping! Know what the Jap government should do? Fine them 100.000yen for every mistake, like what our M'sia goberman is enforcing instead of catching daytime robbers or part-time rempits!

Ok, here is a quiz:
Are there monkeys in the forest or not?

Yes! Time to unleash my wrath at my English teacher who I have argued for the past few weeks for giving me low marks for scoring high marks. He did it on purpose! He dared to ask me to participate more during English lessons while I've been keeping my mouth shut all this while to protect his own ego!(and his grammar mistakes)

Look at question 25. Lets say I've only watched the trailer a few times but not the actual movie. What answer should best fit that question? Of course its the WTC right! No, according to him, its ANYTHING but the WTC. Why? Because it no longer exists.

J.C: But sir(a PFS lingo for addressing male teachers), isn't it stated that this question is suppose to refer to the movie? In the movie preview you showed us last week, its all about the WTC.

Kanazawa: No, I'm not talking about the preview, its about the movie. Since the movie isn't out(in Japan) & none has watched it yet, I'll assume that anything goes. Except for the WTC cos its no longer there.

J.C: HAR?? WTF!! Like this also can arr? I should have told him I've downloaded the movie illegally and Nicholas Cage is the what New York is famous for! WTF!

In the end, I decided not to argue anymore cos 99% of the class got it right for writting something other than the WTC. Except for me & the Kenyan guy, for reading the instructions thoroughly and 'misintepreted' his question. Anyway, I still scored the highest for that paper, WTF!

11 comments:

mayc said...

hmm.. i think ur teacher's right wor.. what IS new york famous for wat.. is, as in present, as in NOW?

Jeremy Cheong said...

U didn't get my point, read the question:
Question 25 REFERS to the movie, "World Trade Centre."
In the movie, the WTC IS the famous 1. No, the movie is all bout the WTC, unless u agree that Nicholas Cage is better :p

Kelly said...

Japanese English is really getting into my nerves..I can't even think properly anymore..

Anonymous said...

right.. in tht case, i guess u r right.. =)

Anonymous said...

lucky i dont have eng paper test anymore...just some eng karaoke test..hehe

cl3m` said...

even if it's not there anymore, WTC is still a landmark. it's iconic. why shouldnt it be famous in nyc?

Jeremy Cheong said...

Well, WTC is officially gone now...famous as it is, no one is gonna say "lets go for a tour at the WTC site, I hear its interesting!" For us it might, but no Americans would wanna say that...

cl3m` said...

the question isn't clear. it asked what new york is famous for. it doesnt have to be a building. hell, i can say donald trump as well. or the food or past historical non-existing buildings. the site remains so it's actually still valid. e.g,gifu is famous pesimmons but when it's no autumn and there's officially none, it cant be famous for pesimmons?

the question should be more like 'What current/present building is New York most famous for?' again it's very subjective, cause what's the MOST famous thing? there can only be one yet there's multiple answers?

Jeremy Cheong said...

Ya, I agree with that, but you can't say WTC anymore since its officially not there. When you mean the former site of WTC, I think 'ground zero' would be more suitable for this situation. Anyway, I've been in Japan for too long, guess I can't be sure between right & wrong(English Grammar) with 100% confidence anymore....
Gifu is famous for persimmons? really? Isn't it Wakayama?(guessing) Bring some to Kyoto!

cl3m` said...

haha,yea i will.. they just pluck and leave it on the roadside.. 5 or 6 for 100yen! u dont hafta pay actually oso but thts stealing:P

Anonymous said...

your lecturer is a joke.. hahahahaha
chris